How To Grill Fruit (with recipes!)
- Always make sure that the grill is very hot before placing any food on it.
- It is also best to oil the grill after it is hot, rather than the food to avoid flare-ups.
- Always dry the food that you are about to grill with a towel.
- Season food at the last minute, otherwise it will become dry.
Grilled Summer Fruit Kebobs with Dark Rum Sauce
Dark Rum Sauce
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup dark rum, e.g., Meyer’s or Gosling’s
¼ cup water
2 TBS unsweetened butter, cold and diced
½ vanilla bean, spli
t and scraped
What to do
- Combine brown sugar, rum, water, and vanilla bean in sauce pan and heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to boil. Lower heat to just above simmer and reduce liquid by half.
- Remove from heat. Remove vanilla bean.
- Whisk in butter gradually.
- Serve as soon as possible. If you need to reheat, do it gently.
½ pint strawberries
¼ cup neutral salad oil such as grape seed or canola
4 wooden skewers
What to do
- Soak skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Slice fruit into large chunks and thread onto the four skewers.
- Lightly oil the fruit and place on hot grill.
- Cook until slightly browned and heated through
- Serve with rum sauce and
- vanilla ice cream.