Juniper-Dusted Venison with Winter Fruits and Vegetables
4 5 oz boneless venison medallion, from saddle
3 TBS. crushed juniper
1 TBS. butter
2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled and quartered
24 seedless red grapes, peeled
1 cup pearl onions, roasted
4 roasted chestnuts, shelled
1 cup Brussels sprouts, roasted
1 TBS. canola oil
2 sprigs fresh thyme
salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in warm sauté pan. Cook apples until tender and caramelized.
- Add the grapes, onions, Brussels sprouts and chestnuts. Place in a 375º oven until all are hot.
- Dry and season the venison with salt, pepper and the juniper.
- Heat oil in hot sauté pan. Add venison and sear for one minute on all sides until medium rare. Take care to turn frequently.
- Divide up vegetables among four plates and place one venison medallion top of vegetables.