Pumpkin Soup with Chestnut Cream
© James Laird
2 medium butternut squash
1 quart vegetable or chicken stock
¼ cup honey
2 TBS. unsalted butter cut into cubes (optional)
¼ cup heavy cream, whipped to stiff peaks
2 TBS. chestnut purée (available in specialty stores)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Cut squash in half, lengthwise. Scoop out seeds. Place on oiled baking sheet cut side down and place in oven.
- Bake squash until a fork can be inserted very easily.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Scoop out flesh into bowl of food processor or blender.
- Process with half of the stock until smooth. Adjust with more stock to desired thickness.
- Add honey and process to blend.
- Place in sauce pan to heat. Bring to boil.
- Remove from heat and add butter with hand blender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In meantime, fold chestnut purée into cream.
- Divide soup among warm soup plates. Garnish each serving with a table spoon of cream.