Perfectly Poached Eggs, an Interview with Chef James Laird
This week we spent some time over a pot of hot water with Chef James, here are his secrets to the best Poached Eggs in North Jersey:
RS: James, what’s your secret to the perfect poach?
CJ: I have a few secrets. Always use the freshest eggs possible, it’s worth it to pay a little bit extra for the cage free, organic varieties. Also, season the water with plenty of salt, so it tastes like the ocean, and some lemon juice.
RS: So, how hot should the water be?
CJ: Make sure you bring the water to a full boil and then reduce to simmer.
RS: How long should you cook them for?
CJ: When your water is at the right temperature, cook the eggs for 8 minutes for the perfect texture.
RS: What’s your favorite way to serve them?
CJ: I like them the classic way, over Canadian bacon. Just like Eggs Benedict without the Hollandaise.
And here’s the recipe:
Perfectly Poached Eggs
by Chef James Laird.
8 Fresh, Cage Free, Organic Eggs
1 Gallon Water
2 Tbsp. Salt
Juice of Half a Lemon
1. Bring your water to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce to a simmer.
2. Season the water with salt and lemon juice.
3. Crack the eggs into separate containers such as coffee cups.
4. Add the eggs to the water one at a time.
5. Cook for 8 Minutes.
6. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and dry with a paper towel.
7. Serve Immediately.